My Journey

My experience here as a student at SIUE is informing who I am and also who I will become in the future on so many levels. Being a college student is such a transformative process and it’s all so surreal and scary right now but, its exciting. It became even more exciting once I remembered that this is only the tip of the iceberg. Let me tell you how it’s going so far…..

On November 4th, I worked with Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. to donate goodie bags filled with meals and snacks to kids in need at a high school in St.Louis. The Childhood Hunger Initiative Power Pack (CHIPP) provides weekend and holiday meals for children within local communities. Children enrolled in the program receive an environmentally friendly bag filled with 2 breakfast, 2 lunch, and 2 snack items for their weekend meals.  All the food items are non-perishable. To start I want to say that this experience was very unifying and empowering. I worked alongside over 20 other black women and girls as we took turns loading 2 or 3 bags at a time. We talked, laughed, and listened to music all while standing for something good. Being able to work with an organization that cares about child hunger and poverty the same as me gave me a unique feeling of accomplishment. I deeply value giving to those in need and being an active particpant even in a small part of the solution. Really looking forward to volunteering again soon!

Restore Decor is an organization that works to transform old furniture into new pieces and donate proceeds to those in need. This volunteering experience was very eye opening for me. I never thought about what it would be like to not have furniture. It’s such a mundane thing to think about when you have it and this experience inclined me to appreciate soemthing so simple a lot more. There was a woman who worked in the warehouse named Dana. She was so sweet and patient while she taught us the proper painting techniques and how to sand the furniture first. She told us how the furniture goes to people who’ve lost furniture in natural disasters, people who suffer from mental health issues who might struggle to clean their furniture, and even college students who are struggling financially. It was a little mind boggling to me because when you hear the term “less fortunate”, you think of lacking food,water,or shelter. You don’t think about furniture but it’s important too. This was such a wholesome experience for me and I’m glad I did it.

When visiting Tower Grove in search for minority owned businesses, I got to engage with a gorgeous assorment of people who belonged to different cultures. A priorty for me in life is to be well rounded and knowldegable about cultures,practices,beliefs, and systems that I myself am not part of. I think having this as a guding principle in my life reduces the opprotunity of ignorance. I value empathy and understanding for others as well. I got to feed both of these things during the trip to Tower Grove. We interviewed owners who were ethiopian, hispanic, chinese, and african american. Getting to hear their stories of perservering and learning to flourish in a neighborhood that is undergoing gentrification was an extraordinary experience.

First full year complete: A reflection

As I look back on my first year of college, a wave of nostalgia washes over me, mingled with a sense of profound growth and discovery. It was a year filled with moments of uncertainty and exhilaration, where every challenge became an opportunity for learning and self-reflection. From late-night study sessions to impromptu adventures with newfound friends, each experience has left an indelible mark on my heart. In the midst of navigating newfound independence and academic rigors, I found solace in the warmth of community and the unwavering support of mentors who believed in my potential even when I doubted myself. As I bid farewell to this transformative chapter, I carry with me not only the knowledge gained in lecture halls but also the lessons learned in the quiet moments of introspection and camaraderie. My first year of college will forever remain a cherished chapter in the story of my journey toward self-discovery and fulfillment. 

As for my major, I am unsure exactly which path I want to take. Up until recently, I planned to pursue a dual degree by majoring in both psychology and social work to get the best of both worlds. Now, I am questioning if the outcome will be the one that I desire. As of now I am really undecided, but I will gather more information to make a definitive plan this summer.  

One of the most significant changes has been in my understanding of success and accomplishment. While I still value academic achievement, I’ve come to appreciate that true fulfillment stems not only from grades or accolades but also from experiences that challenge and inspire me. My biggest accomplishments have been those moments where I stepped outside my comfort zone, whether it was participating in a research project, taking on a leadership role in a student organization, or volunteering in the community. These experiences have shaped me in ways that extend far beyond the confines of a transcript or resume. 

It’s remarkable to observe how my goals and ideas have evolved. Initially, I entered college with a narrow focus on achieving academic success within my chosen major. However, as I immersed myself in various courses, extracurricular activities, and interactions with peers and mentors, my perspective broadened significantly. I discovered new passions, reconsidered my career aspirations, and embraced opportunities for personal and intellectual growth that I had not anticipated. 

E