Contract

Below are the personal learning contracts drawn up during the 2024-25 school year (Contract Rubric refers to Research team 1 class, whereas “Aug. 20th Reflections” refers to the CODES-121 Transdisciplinary Commitee.)

Dear Dr. Shea, 

During my first year, I am looking to receive an A in the CODES 120 class in my first year. The following letter is how I will achieve this goal. 

5A) Defines the scope of research questions effectively and selects information cogently to address them. (20%) To work effectively in a group setting, one must have the ability to provide insightful and professionally researched points. These points must address an issue and provide the tools necessary to confront them. In class discussions, source analyses, and research projects are all ways in which this goal can be achieved. A job meets this goal when it contains professionally researched and impactful questions. 

3B) Recognizes multilayered ethical issues and the cross relationships among them. (30%) Working with a group, it is essential to have the ability to visualize complex problems and form solutions around them. The interactions between wicked problems and their stakeholders are imperative to addressing them. This skill can be identified in written works, source analyses, and presentations. This skill can be recognized when issues are brought together in texts and their relationships are witnessed. 

7B) Pursues knowledge and educational experience beyond the classroom. (20%) Knowledge is all around us. The acquisition of knowledge is crucial in forming well thought out points which consider every aspect of a problem. This can be witnessed within written works and in class discussions. Deep, impactful statements and prose are indicators of success in this goal, with outside knowledge being present in written and spoken works.  

6C) Suspends judgment in interactions with people culturally different than themselves. (15%) Working with others requires an elevated level of respect and perseverance, as one must adapt to the group setting and be considerate of others. This can be seen in group interactions and discussions of group projects when a final project is being presented. When coherency and understanding is achieved this goal has been reached, being seen in written and spoken works, as well as class projects.  

6A) Articulates own cultural rules and biases and recognizes and responds to biases. (15%) A deep understanding of oneself is imperative to understanding how their subjective experiences can influence others. To counteract this, one must be able to separate long-held beliefs from the workspace. Expressive presentations and collaborative assignments are prime indicators of this understanding. When objective thought and reasoning is witnessed, this goal has been met.  

The following learning outcomes will allow me to succeed in CODES and beyond. These skills are more than just a grade, but a structure to live my life. 

Go to top