Assignments

Reflection #4

Audience Analysis

The audience that I chose for this analysis is white young adults on the social media platform, TikTok. The reason behind this choice is that I believe I have a different perspective than them when it comes to this subject and having them as an audience will provide the opportunity to challenge myself in pandering to a point of view different from mine.

The first reason behind my thinking that my audience has a different perspective than me is based on how they view George Floyd. A good amount of my audience believe that George Floyd was a wanted criminal who was a major danger to society. They believe he was the one in the wrong and that the police were doing their job. While scrolling on “WhiteTok,” I came across videos where people talk about how George was a criminal, he was dangerous, etc., and at times would compare him to Donald Trump saying they are equal. I believe it will be interesting to see how they view the subject I am analyzing.

The second reason behind my thinking that my audience has a different perspective than me is based on how they look at the George Floyd incident. A good amount of my audience believe that George Floyd deserved to be killed because he was a criminal who was resisting arrest and there have been many arguments to say he was not murdered by police. While scrolling on the same “WhiteTok,” I would also see creators talking about how George Floyd was resisting arrest and the police officers were just doing their job. They also said that George Floyd was not killed by police, but actually overdosed on fentanyl. I believe it will be fascinating to garner my analysis to them while keeping it neutral in order to maintain their attention.

In conclusion, the reason why I chose my audience is because I believe we look at the world differently, so it will be interesting to see how I appeal to my audience while presenting my information. I will also be challenged into learning how to present to and accommodate for a perspective other than mine.

Comments Off on Reflection #4