Class Portfolio

Introduction

In CODES 121 I learned skills of patience, time management, and improvement in written communication. I most enjoy getting to know my classmates and learning more about the CODES program. I most excelled in working with others and I want to improve more in improving my presentations.

Goal 1 (30%)

Based on 12c:

Improving my ability to work with others by focusing on my individual work and asking others’ opinions

In the video it shows me working with Ava and Venus from my cohort and creating a video for class while also having fun. I learned to listen more from others’ opinions during this project and it caused the project to improve.

in the group photo it shows me with my group in my engineering class. We created a project of a tennis ball launcher and we ended up with the highest score of all the teams. The reviewed me as an essential part of the team and a great help.

In the text it shows me asking for my team’s opinion while going out to buy supplies for our project.

Goal 2 (20%)

Based on 7b: Going out of my way to increase my knowledge in and out of the classroom purely on my own interest

In my source analysis I was really interested in how many POC were affected by the water crisis in Michigan and went out of my way to do more research on the topic.

I was interested in the affects that black women and the treatment of America had on their mentality. I decide to analyze a book where she expressed her power in sexuality even though it’s looked down upon.

Goal 3 (15%)

Improving my organization of presenting to become more understandable and cohesive

A compliment from Despain after a presentation. To prepare for it I made notes on the topics I wanted to focus on.

Goal 4 (20%)

Increasing my writing ability by showing my understanding of the text with compelling writing

“In the end all the components of a wicked problem apply to the issue of the floodings of Moline. The vague problem definition is the many ways flooding affects can differ city to city. The undefined solution are the many ways that flooding can be solved but all come with cons. Not being able to completely end the flooding of the Mississippi River causing there to be no endpoint. Multiple of the solutions are irreversible to the ecosystem and city such as building floodwalls. The unique location of my town; and the urgency to find a solution that will work are all are reasons why the flooding of the Quad Cities is an important problem that needs attention. Maybe than other kids will be able to go to their special ballpark games.” I believe in my multimodal I showed understanding of the text by showing the connection to my town and other examples in my writing.

“Blows opinion changes the perspective of the text. His opinion changes the text because he’s not coming towards his opinion as an out looker but an insider who has been disappointed many times by America to the point, he fears more for the youth than the outcome of America and he really pushes his disappointment of America in the piece.” In my digital project 2 I showed understanding of the rhetoric the author was putting in the article of the “Great Erasure” and I believe noticing this improve my ability to explain it to others.

Goal 5 (15%)

Improving my ability to evaluate text and apply them to issues

I applied the issues of countries being exploited for fast fashion to the issue of biodiversity in crops

I connected the issue of white media being more digestible to audiences to it causing a white savior complex.