Class Portfolio

Priscilla’s Class Portfolio

Introduction

Throughout the first half of the semester, I was good at turning in the best work I could do. Sometimes I would feel overwhelmed and not turn in assignments on time or they would be completed, but I would not feel like they were good enough. I want to work on this in the future. I believe I worked hard and turned in my best work. Overall I believe I am making progress towards my goals.

11A (20%)

Evaluates texts’ scholarly significance to apply reading to other contexts or issues.

The artifact where I see this most was DP #2 and our class discussion about the music industry. After reading my piece of journalism, I was able to make several connections about the class discussions we had in class. We talked about women being underrepresented in the music industry and while reading about my piece of journalism I made the connection on how much work it must have been for Taylor Swift. In this class discussion, I was able to gain knowledge on an issue that is important for women’s rights. After making the connection I made sure to include data in my DP #2.

For example, I stated that there were two million tickets sold on her tour. I hope this showed the audience how big Taylor Swift is and that women can have huge success in the music industry. I added this because of the significance the class discussion had on me.

5B (20%)

Accesses information using effective, well-designed search strategies and appropriate sources.

I also see this goal in DP #2. When creating my video, it was important to include several pictures to give the audience more visual appeal. In order to do this I made sure I looked up the correct on-topic idea so that I was able to get pictures that related to my piece of journalism. This is a goal I would like to continue to improve on, especially for it to be shown in DP #3.

This is one of the images I used in my Digital Project. In my video, I brought up Imagery, so I wanted to give the audience more context by using this photo. I did not choose the first picture I saw, I did some looking and I found the perfect one that made sense for the context of my video. To do this I looked up What is imagery? Into google so it would give an explanation, not just a photo.

Easy imagery definition: Imagery is a literary device that uses all five senses to describe what’s happening in the story.

8C (10%)

Develops clear, innovative central messages with significant supporting materials.

I see this goal most in DP #1, I was able to write a clear message on my life as a nanny and use supporting evidence as I wrote through my essay. The organization played a big part in this. It helped me clarify my main point to the audience and help with my supporting detail. I want to point out my conclusion where I finished my essay by reminding the audience of my main idea and the evidence.

“I have learned so much since becoming a nanny including, commitment, finding love for the city I grew up in, getting off of technology, loving nature, and time management. I now know how it feels to have a group of people depend on you to show up for your job.” (Kincanon 4).

My main idea and supporting details are clearly stated and I dig deeper into these ideas in my essay.

4A (10%)

Adapts and applies a deep understanding of multiple worldviews, experiences, and power structures while initiating meaningful interaction with other cultures to address significant global problems.

I see this most in class discussions. When my classmates share their personal thoughts and opinions about a topic I learn a lot from them. For example, in DP #2, my peer review partner had a completely different topic than mine and it was interesting to see this issue. I was able to get a deep understanding of this issue, while also giving feedback to my partner. I hope to continue to work on this as the semester finishes.

I also saw this goal in Reflection #2. When reading about another culture I wanted to make sure I fully understood the view of the author.

“Making notes of keywords or underlining words I wanted to research a further meaning of is a way I can make sure I am understanding what I am reading. Asking questions throughout the text is an awesome way to get my mind thinking deeper. I asked myself questions like, Where else are we seeing this issue? Is it more popular in big cities? Where do Latino families live if the new housing is not affordable?” (Kincanon 1)

Asking questions was one of the ways I was able to understand this issue.

13A (40%)

Demonstrates a thorough understanding of context, audience, and purpose.

The first assignment I see this in is DP #1. In my essay, I really thought about context and purpose. I wanted there to be a main point of my text and I feel like I nailed it well. I made it clear to my audience that my essay was about being a nanny. While writing this I made sure every paragraph had a purpose and I planned out what I was going to say.

“I raised a child during my senior year of high school. No, I am not a mom. When I was a little girl I carried my baby dolls everywhere I went, especially walking around my house. I would feed them, change their diapers, and rock them to sleep.” (Kincanon 1).

I chose this example from my introduction of my DP #1 because it sets the audience up for what I am going to inform them about. I am proud of my lead and it relates to my goal because of my thoughts on context, audience, and purpose.

In Reflection #5 I did this as well. I focused on the audience. In class, this was brought up more and I am thankful it was because I learned a lot about finding who your audience is and how to write for them.

“There were certain words that stood out, for example, a data fact would be larger than the rest of the text. This usually means that it is eye-catching, important, shocking, or a piece of data that is shown in one of the included pictures.” (Kincanon 1).

I wanted to include this from my reflection because it shows an understanding of context and the purpose for why the author did that.