The Ted Talk, “The Danger of a Single Story” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, offers valuable insights that can inform our research at the Garden. It serves as a reminder of the importance of considering multiple perspectives in history and acknowledging how diverse reactions and biases can shape narratives. As we conduct our research, we must be mindful of these factors. It’s crucial to ensure that the dominance of Western scientific paradigms does not overshadow the wealth of other forms of knowledge. Our aim is to illuminate the origins of various plant species and mitigate the tendency for certain botanists to claim undue credit for the work of others. By presenting a comprehensive understanding of botanical history to the public, we strive to shift the spotlight away from individual achievements towards a collective appreciation of the rich tapestry of botanical knowledge.

If you were to ask me to describe myself or tell you what my life has been like, it is going to be very different from what other people might say. I was always very social when I was younger and was always talking to new people. I experienced a lot of bullying growing up, but it I never really thought it impacted me too much, I still remained a pretty bubbly kid. As I got older, I began to really struggle with my mental health and well-being. Around 12 years old I began struggling with suicidal ideation and self harm, but I didn’t tell anyone around me, and I tried my best to hide what I was feeling at school and in front of my family. I eventually got the help I needed, and although I still struggle, my mental health is much better now that I am older, I finally see the bubbly version of myself from when I was a little kid again. 

If you ask anyone I grew up with, they will probably tell my story way differently. Many people still don’t know about any of my mental health struggles even though they grew up around me. This is because they just aren’t aware, it isn’t a perspective that I have shared with people, but it is a large part of understanding who I am. This means that if someone tries to tell my story it is going to have large gaps in it (even though they might not be noticeable) because they are missing a piece of the puzzle crucial to understanding who I am as a person.