Dear Dr. Hildebrandt,

In my last semester of research team, I am striving for an A. The list of the following learning outcomes will show you how I plan on achieving this grade.

1a.) Demonstrates ability and commitment to collaboratively work across and within community contexts and structures (30%).

During this semester, our teams are working on implementing our plans into the Missouri Botanical Gardens (MOBOT). Effectively identifying all who should be heard who typically might be overlooked is very important in a collaborative project in MOBOT. I plan to speak up in conversations and ask the harder questions when they need to be asked. In my group project, I plan on making sure everyone is working cohesively to get a well-rounded final project that can be implemented with the guidance of the staff from the Missouri Botanical Gardens. This outcome is all about working with others in your own space, and outside of your space to make sure the community is the voice that is heard. In my eportfolio I will showcase this learning outcome by my notes and leadership in the group project and by uploading the progress made by my group, and showcasing how we effectively worked with the Garden to find a happy medium that can be implemented.

1b.) Connects and extends knowledge from academic study to civic engagement (15%).

Reading materials and being able to formulate responses without additions of implicit bias or judgement is very crucial. Working along with 1a, I believe that I must be able to make the connections between the readings and applying that to our current wicked problems at the Garden. I plan on showing this by showing the connections in my reflections.

4c.) Applies knowledge and skills to implement sophisticated, workable solutions to address complex global problems using interdisciplinary perspectives (15%).

The wicked problems at the Garden that we as CODES students are clearly not the only issues occurring in the botanical community. The ultimate hope is that the problems that our cohort unveils will create a ripple effect that spreads to other Botanical Gardens. The knowledge that I am able to put into my assignments and my inclusions in conversations when our research teams meet. In my eportfolio, I will include my notes from class discussion to share my thoughts and insight on the wicked problems.

12a.) Helps collaboration move forward by articulating the merits of alternative ideas (20%).

The workshops that will be taking place with the faculty from the garden will give an amazing opportunity to encourage collaboration with all of those that are involved in the conversation. To show this in my eportfolio, I will upload transcriptions of conversations and the questions I had come up with pre and post conversation to show my engagement in the conversations with those of varying departments.

13a.) Demonstrates a thorough understanding of context, audience, and purpose (20%).

In the past, the only learning outcome I have used from the written communication category is 13c. Even though speaking with clarity is important, I believe that is a skill I have improved upon throughout my last two semesters, so I am challenging myself with a different skill of writing. I need to work on context, and to do that, I must do some researching on any events or words that I do not understand when I’m reading to understand the entire story. Identifying the audience and purpose will not be as difficult since that is something I’ve been doing in school forever. I will showcase this in my eportfolio by adding my findings on my annotated notes when reading assignments are due.