Introduction

CODES has been a great resource from me. I thoroughly enjoy spending time with every single person and every conversation we have in class. I think this section of CODES has been a struggle simply because I love math and English is not my strong suit. The work load has been tough, but I make strides to make sure everything gets done. I enjoy that the material is about topics I usually wouldn’t choose on my own.

I look forward to improving on problem solving more in this class, especially with the help of Digital Project #3, as it is a collaborative assignment.

Ethical Reasoning (20%)

Recognizes multilayered ethical issues and the cross-relationships among them. 

“Instead of just focusing on the problem at hand, I will dive deeper into the ethics with more thorough research.”

Digital project #2 is a great example of ethical reasoning. I switched my choice of multimedia journalism after I wrote reflection #3, so as a replacement, I brainstormed on a piece of paper:

This, along with several points made in my DP #2 show that I have studied various types of argumentation and ethics.

I enjoyed reading Eddie Kingston’s Got No F***ing Business Being Here. It allowed me to analyze an article with various ethical issues. I remember the class discussion after was very engaging and I had a lot to say about his rhetoric.

Critical and Creative Thinking (30%)

Takes risks in approaches to learning to create new knowledge.

“Wicked problems are multilayered, so taking risks will be critical to assess all sides of the problem.”

Digital Project #2 was interesting to compose, and something I hadn’t really done before. This project in it of itself is a risk for me. I have never been a creative person, so trying to make an informative and entertaining video was a struggle. I have never worked with video editing, but this video I found on YouTube was a huge help! iMovie Basics: video editing tutorial for beginners

*I plan to expand on this goal throughout the semester

Oral Communication (30%)

Uses clear organizational patterns and is skillful at presenting content cohesively.

“I will take a more detailed approach to presentations, create in depth outlines, good questions, and focus on word clutter.”

Below is the script I wrote for Digital Project #2

I am very proud of this outline, I think it is chronological and well thought out. I even had some peers review this to make sure it was in its best shape.

*I plan to expand on this goal throughout the semester as we have more speaking opportunities, especially with Digital Project #3

Problem Solving (10%)

Implements solutions to address multiple contextual factors.

“It is hard for me to think outside of the box. I will jot notes and participate in discussions. I will focus more on what other people think and really incorporate others’ perspectives.”

The photo essays were something that were extremely interesting to me, and unlike anything I’ve been required to read before. My favorite one I read was about getting your first car. This essay hit close to home and made me excited to make my own photo essay. I don’t usually do well in group projects, but Ty, Angel, and I worked together to make an interesting piece.

Below I have attached a picture we chose not to include, but still has a good message and mended us as a group.

If I had to do it all over again with more time, I would think through it harder and choose a more compelling topic.

Written Communication (10%)

Uses language to skillfully communicate with clarity and fluency.

“I want to decrease verbal clutter and focus on using less passive voice. I want to get better at providing sufficient research with valid points.”

Below I have attached an excerpt from Reflection #1. I will compare this reflection with parts of Reflection #5, as it is all about analysis. This will show how my writing has grown in complexity.

As you can see, this introduction paragraph is extremely dull. There is no hook or thesis at the end.